Concert Calendar

Upcoming Shows

Friday, April 8, 2011

Fuck Yeah Friday!: New Beastie Boys

Usually when I put together my "Fuck Yeah Friday!" segment, the song I select is some kind of electronic tune: a party jam to get your weekend started right. Well, it suffices to say I had to go back to my roots with today's choice.

Anyone who knows me well knows I am a huge Beastie Boys fan. In my heyday I could recite word-for-word the entire lyrics to "Paul Revere" because Licensed to Ill was one of the first three CDs I ever owned (keep in mind I said CDs - this must have been around 4th grade when I finally got a boombox equipped with a CD player, as opposed to my old school Playschool tape player). I still remember the first day I heard the song "Intergalactic" which, although it is considered newer Beasties, still takes be back to 4th grade when it was released. To this day I still play "Intergalactic" whenever I have a chance...I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Thanks to my good friend Theo, I was informed that "Make Some Noise" was recently leaked. I am referring to this as the first single off The Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 regardless of whether or not it actually is. To my pleasure and surprise, local rock station WAAF played it today during its Hillman Morning show, which until recently was strictly talk radio (when they started playing music again it was mostly reserved for older songs by the likes of AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, and Pearl Jam). This was just my second time hearing it and let me say it got even better with a second listen, full blast in my car. It mixes newer-sounding instrumental Beasties (think back to 2007's all-instrumental The Mix Up) with old-school sounding lyrics (think back to "Fight for Your Right" off 1987's Licensed to ill).

You be the judge, but regardless I am highly anticipating May 3 when the album drops. Also, check out the trailer for the hilarious-looking Fight For Your Right - Revisited movie.

Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise by Off Air

No comments:

Post a Comment