Concert Calendar

Upcoming Shows

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sub Focus, Rusko, Deadmau5, Grooveshark

Labor Day weekend saw me venturing to a small town called New York City for a 2-day electronic music festival called Electric Zoo. Taking place at Randall's Island (a walk over the East River via the RFK bridge from Harlem), this was only the second year it had occurred, but managed to rake in 67 of the world's best DJs and electronic acts. Those of you who know me well have heard all about it from me - from the weeks leading up to it to the days following it. It was an amazing experience with personal highlights such as Rusko, Pretty Lights, Wolfgang Gartner, Boys Noize, Claude VonStroke, Glitch Mob, Afrojack, and of course Armin Van Buuren (the world's #1 DJ 3 years in a row). I'll admit I'm pretty new to the electo scene, stemming back to my study abroad experience in Australia where all you would hear in the clubs was electro. My friend Brian is really into the scene and was very knowledgeable about DJs and the hottest jams. Rusko was the one DJ I knew very little about and is now someone I can't stop listening to. If you've ever heard of Dub Step, this is one of the pioneers. His song "Hold On" has been on heavy rotation with me, but I prefer the Sub Focus Remix:



Because I liked that song so much, I decided to investigate Sub Focus. Turns out he is also a Brit and dabbles in the drum and bass side of electro. Here is one of the tunes I really enjoyed:



My last comment is in regards to the widely popular producer/DJ Deadmau5. Recently this Ontario, Canada native (real name Joel Thomas Zimmerman) was the "House Artist" on MTV's Video Music Awards. I thought this was pretty cool, as he is by no means a mainstream artist compared to their other featured artists (although his exposure through the awards show will definitely push him forward). Deady, as I like to refer to him as, was one of my first favorite electro producers with songs like "Alone with You" (a song that often came up on Pandora - I fell in love with it).



In my opinion, every album release by Deady has gotten significantly worse. This came to a head when I downloaded At Play 3, his third release in a series of "At Play" compilations made to make you move. It sounds like he just took a bunch of drum loops and put them together. Take a listen, am I wrong? Step your game up kiddddd (this might be considered tribal but it just doesn't cut it compared to what i know and love).



Lastly, my new favorite way to stream music is through Grooveshark. Find and play virtually any song you want! Tunes, Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment