Concert Calendar

Upcoming Shows

Monday, July 25, 2011

Monday Throwback: A Classic Pharcyde Track Plus Arty's "Around the World"


I have a feeling more people will recognize this beat from the song "Stutter" by Joe featuring Mystikal, but in fact the sample came from the Californian hip hop group Pharcyde's "Passin' Me By." This song is a classic hip hop joint and was released in March 1993. This track, produced by J-Swift, utilizes samples from "Summer in the City" by Quincy Jones, "125th Street Congress" by Weather Report and "Are You Experienced?" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

I figure it's a nice smooth track to ease you into your work weeks and doubles as a great summer jam.

As for me, this is my last post until August 8th. I take off for Israel tomorrow afternoon and couldn't be more excited. My good friend and understudy Cam Harris aka Cam Slamstein aka DJ Snippets will be taking over posting duties until that time so please bear with him as he brings you new and exciting tracks to rock to.


The Pharcyde - Passin' Me By


BONUS:
Since I won't have another chance to post this for a couple weeks, I wanted to bring Arty's "Around the World" to your attention. If you're big into EDM like I am, chances are you've heard this. If not, you're in for a treat. I was recently listening to the newest Dance Department podcast (highly recommended) and Dennis Ruyer played it during his portion of the show. Dance Department is known for playing more straight up House tracks and tends to shy away from bangers and more towards funky, groovy tech-house kinds of tracks. Arty is considered a combination of Trance and Progressive House and is definitely blurring the lines between House and Trance. This 21-year-old Russian producer will be at Electric Zoo and I am hoping to be able to catch some of his set.

As always, please post your comments or email me at jongilman87@gmail.com!


Arty - Around the World (Original Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment